Evansville Fire Started by Exploding Hoverboard Battery, Fire Department Says

The Evansville Fire Department says a small apartment fire was started by a lithium battery from a hoverboard.

Posted: Nov 4, 2021 8:44 AM
Updated: Nov 4, 2021 8:54 AM

A Wednesday night fire at an Evansville apartment was the product of a lithium "hoverboard" battery, according to the Evansville Fire Department. 

EFD says the fire was called in late Wednesday night around 11:50 p.m. at the Carpenter Court Apartments on E. Iowa Street near Garvin Street.

Before firefighters arrived, EFD says the people living at the apartment were able to put the fire out with water and a fire extinguisher.

While the fire caused minor damage to the carpet in a bedroom, EFD says no one was displaced and no injuries were reported.

EFD says the fire started after the lithium battery in the hoverboard exploded.

Evansville
Clear
27° wxIcon
Hi: 46° Lo: 27°
Feels Like: 22°
Owensboro
Clear
29° wxIcon
Hi: 46° Lo: 25°
Feels Like: 22°
Princeton
Partly Cloudy
27° wxIcon
Hi: 42° Lo: 26°
Feels Like: 20°
Madisonville
Clear
29° wxIcon
Hi: 47° Lo: 26°
Feels Like: 23°
Jasper
Partly Cloudy
25° wxIcon
Hi: 41° Lo: 24°
Feels Like: 18°
Monday morning, we will see partly sunny skies with temperatures still in the mid 20°s. By the afternoon, we will be warming up into the mid 40°s with cloud coverage increasing. This is due to a cold front expected to traverse the tri-state overnight Monday.
WEVV 4K Doppler Radar
WEVV 7-Day Forecast
WEVV Watches & Warnings

Community Events