On Friday morning around 7:30 a.m., the Vanderburgh County Sheriff's Office says one of its deputies tried to stop a white 2019 Chevrolet Cruze for committing a traffic violation near the intersection of Covert Avenue and Green River Road.
According to the sheriff's office, the driver of the vehicle refused to stop and instead, accelerated in an attempt to escape.
The VCSO Deputy pursued the vehicle until it eventually crashed into an AT&T box and came to a stop in the front yard of a residence near the intersection of Covert Avenue and Fuquay Road.
The suspect was later identified as 41-year-old Doyle L. Austin Jr. of Evansville, Indiana.
Austin was arrested without further incident and is being held in the Vanderburgh County Jail on the following charges:
- Failure to appear warrant (Charged as a felony)
- Petition to revoke probation (Felony)
- Resisting law enforcement in a vehicle (L6 Felony)
- Reckless driving (Class A Misdemeanor)
- Possession of marijuana (Class B Misdemeanor)
- Operating a vehicle without ever receiving a license (Class A Misdemeanor)
The Evansville Police Department aided in the suspect's apprehension during the event.