Around 2:00 Sunday morning the Evansville Fire Department responded to an apartment fire at 2161 E. Franklin Street. The apartment building is three stories and houses 12 units.
Fire crews say there was heavy smoke on the bottom floor of the apartment. According to fire officials the person who lives in the home was displaced because of the fire damage. No one else was injured or displaced from the fire.
Information obtained from the occupants brother says that the occupant was on supplemental oxygen due to a medical condition. The victim was about to take some medication when he used a lighter to see the label of his meds, thats when he accidentally caught his beard on fire.
Due to the oxygen enriched environment, the fire quickly spread to the mans clothing, blanket, and recliner.
The victim alerted occupants before exiting the building himself.
The man was initially treated by EFD personnel for smoke inhalation at the scene before care was transferred to AMR.
EMS transported the man to St. Vincent’s where he was treated for second degree burns to his hands and face.
The victim was then taken to Louisville's University Hospital Burn Center for further treatment.
The fire is still under investigation.