Nine Indiana National Guard armories are serving as collection sites for donations to support Afghan evacuees.
Among those armories is the one right here in Evansville, at 3300 E. Division Street.
Anyone who wants to donate items to support the evacuees can do so from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Indiana National Guard says only new items will be accepted.
The Indiana National Guard says the following items are being accepted in their original packaging:
- Men's and women's unbranded, modest clothes such as long sleeve t-shirts, underwear, pants, and jackets in sizes small to large. No shorts or tank tops.
- Children's clothing, including baby and newborn clothes, hats, and socks.
- Baby formula
- Socks, hats, shoes, and slide-on sandals (no flip flops) for evacuees of all ages.
Here's a full list of the nine National Guard armories currently accepting donations:
- Evansville: 3300 E. Division St.
- Greenfield: 410 Apple St.
- Rockville: 224 W. Strawberry Road
- Danville: 1245 E. Main St.
- Muncie: 401 N. Country Club Road
- Indianapolis: Kessler-Moore Readiness Center, 2625 W. Kessler Blvd.
- Fort Wayne: 130 W. Cook Road
- South Bend: 1901 Kemble Ave.
- New Albany: 2909 Grant Line Road
Camp Atterbury in south-central Indiana was one of eight military facilities around the nation approved to temporarily house thousands of Afghan evacuees.
At the beginning of September, the Indiana National Guard said that a C-130 aircraft carrying evacuees had arrived in Indianapolis.
Any organization or business seeking to make a large donation that can't deliver to one of the designated sites should contact IDHS at email@example.com.