The Evansville Fire Department responded to a house fire in the 1700 block of Washington Avenue on Friday morning.
Central Dispatch was alerted of the fire by an alarm and a caller just after 6:30 a.m. on Friday.
According to EFD, a passerby attempted to enter the home from the front but was unable to do so due to the smoke and fire. He then went around back and found the person who lived there at the back door.
When EFD crews arrived at the scene of the fire, they saw heavy black smoke showing from the front of the home. They were able to get the occupant out of the house and to an AMR ambulance.
According to EFD, the resident was taken to St. Vincent Hospital but was then flown to Indianapolis for treatment of smoke inhalation and second-degree burns to her hands and face.
A dog was also rescued and Animal Control took the dog into their custody.
EFD says the fire started in an upholstered recliner in the living room near the front door.
An investigation into the fire remains ongoing at this time.