Dubois County Prosecutor Anthony D. Quinn says 28-year-old Nathan C. Albrecht of Ferdinand, Indiana, was convicted on Sept. 3 on two counts of child molesting after a two-day trial in Dubois County Circuit Court.
The charges filed against Albrecht and the conviction that followed stem from an investigation that began in August 2019.
Prosecutor Quinn says that when the investigation began, Ferdinand Police Department Officer Christian Gogel met with the mother of the victim, who had filed a report claiming Albrecht had molested her child for a period of six to nine months.
The victim’s mother told officers that her child was involved in a group called “Mentors for Youth” and that Albrecht had been the victim’s mentor for the previous two years.
Prosecutor Quinn says during an Aug. 22, 2019, forensic interview conducted by The Southwest Indiana Child Advocacy Center, the victim confirmed Albrecht had abused him on more than one occasion. The victim also reported to forensic interviewers that the abuse began toward the end of the last school year and continued through up to two weeks before his mother notified police.
On Aug. 23, 2019, Officer’s Eric Hopkins, Tyler Foss, and Deputy John Anderson brought Albrecht in for questioning at the Ferdinand Police Station, though Albrecht declined to be interviewed without a lawyer present, but stated he would need to have an attorney appointed to represent him.
Albrecht was placed under arrest and charged with child molestation and child seduction at that time.
The jury trial, which was the first in Dubois County since the COVID-19 pandemic, was held over a two day period as Deputy Prosecutor Stephanie Smith presented the case for the State.
Members of the jury deliberated for 2.5 hours before handing down the guilty verdict.
Albrecht was convicted of 2 counts of Child Molestation as Level 1 Felonies and 1 count of Performance Harmful to a Minor as a Level 6 felony.
Albrecht's sentencing hearing has been scheduled for Thursday, Oct. 1.