The City of Henderson announced two dates for its annual Spring Cleanup where residents of the city of Henderson can get rid of household items such as broken furniture and yard debris like brush and limbs.
Crews will be collecting this debris and disposing of it on two seperate dates.
For residents South of Second Street, you should have you debris outside for pickup no later than 7:00 a.m. on Monday, March 22. For residents North of Second Street, you should have your debris outside for pickup no later than 7:00 a.m. on Monday, April 26.
Here are the guidelines:
- As ususal, tires, batteries, oil, paint, air conditioners, and refigerators cannot be picked up
- You are allowed one small pickup truck-size load of general household debris (typically such things as broken furniture, mattresses, etc.) and one small pickup truck-size load of yard debris, such as brush and limbs.
- Please do not mix junk with vegetative debris. The different types of materials will be ultimately deposited in different locations. If they are mixed, the city will be forced to send it all to the landfill, which costs taxpayers a lot more.
- You should place your debris on the ground (not on a trailer) in the general area of your weekly trash collection, but please keep it away from fences, buildings, poles, fire hydrants and other structures so equipment can pick it up without obstacles. Larger piles can also be placed at curbside on your street if your weekly trash collection is on an alley.
- There is NO NEED to call Public Works to get your address put on a pickup list. City crews will go through the city street-by-street and alley-by-alley one time. Make sure you have your items available by either Monday, March 22, (if you live south of Second Street) or Monday, April 26 (if you live north of Second Street) and be patient while crews work their way to your area.
- If you miss the Monday morning deadline or if you have more than a small pickup truck-size load, you can call Public Works to request pickup, but a cost will be associated with that special pickup. If you need to schedule that type of pickup, call Public Works at 270-831-1224. You can also call that number with questions.
- Also at a cost, you can always dispose of items yourself. The landfill hours are 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday
“If citizens will abide by these guidelines, the cleanup of each area will go a lot faster,” said Brian Williams, Public Works director of Henderson. “Our intention is to go over every street and every alley as we work our way through town. Our crew members know our streets really well. But, please, should we happen to miss one, give Public Works a call at 270-831-1224.”
The annual event is for residential users, and not for vacant property, commercial use or construction/demolition projects.