As of Thursday in Indiana, there were over 54,000 total positive cases of COVID-19 confirmed throughout the state - and with high school football scheduled to start next in August, teams are preparing for the season with caution.
"We haven't been able to have pads on these first two weeks, we will next week," said Brady Allen, Gibson Southern Junior Quarterback. "So that's been a little different - we've missed out on a lot of seven-on-seven tournaments and seven-on-seven practices and weights are different."
Gibson Southern Head Football Coach Nick Hart explained some of the changes that have been made to keep players safe.
"We have questions we have to ask them every day when they come in," said Hart. "We take temperatures - so far, we've done everything outside - no locker room, no weight room, we moved a lot of our weight stuff outside, again, just to try and help with the social distancing."
Keeping players and fans safe is the primary concern for teams and schools - and with cases continuing to rise, school leaders are closely monitoring the governor's reopening plan and heeding the advice of health officials.
"I cannot tell you how proud I am of our coaches, our student-athletes, and the families and how much they have worked hard to follow these guidelines and how important it is to our families, coaches, and parents to return safely. at EVSC we've had zero positive cases as of today," said EVSC Director of Athletic Andy Owen.
According to Hart, the team is prepared to do whatever necessary to keep everyone safe and have a season - even if it means playing in front of limited fans or no fans at all.