Historic Newburgh Inc. (HNI) says it's hosting a flag design competition to provide a symbol of unity and pride for historic downtown Newburgh on the Ohio River.
HNI says the winning two-sided flag will be sold to help fund beautification efforts in downtown Newburgh, Indiana.
The winning design will receive a prize package valued at $500 and a flag (once the flags are produced).
Here are some DOs and DON'Ts of the competition:
- Do give your flag a name. Provide a title that speaks to the spirit of the design.
- Do describe what your flag's colors, symbols, shapes, and patterns represent.
- Don't use any text, lettering, or numbering. The colors, symbols, and patterns should represent the flag's meaning.
- Don't use the Town of Newburgh logo or the Historic Newburgh, Inc. logo.
- Don't use too many colors
- Don't include small, detailed, or hard-to-see design elements.
The submission deadline for the contest is June 15. On June 25, the finalists of the contest will be displayed both downtown and online. On July 4, the winning flag will be unveiled.
You can find the full list of competition guidelines and an entry form (as seen below) on the Historic Newburgh, Inc. Facebook page.
According to HNI, the competition is open to all ages and locations.