On Wednesday, Indiana Governor Eric J. Holcomb addressed the Hoosier State on the current fight against COVID-19.
According to Gov. Holcomb, new COVID-19 "pandemic requirements" will soon be in place throughout the State of Indiana.
"Beginning this weekend, there will be no more Stage 5," Gov Holcomb said. "Now we must focus on how we will get to the light at the end of this tunnel."
Gov. Holcomb said that he'll sign a new Executive Order which would go into effect on Nov. 15 and continue for a month. Holcomb says the new Executive Order will "implement pandemic requirements for all Hoosiers and targeted restrictions for counties that are in the Orange and Red Status."
New Requirements for Orange Status counties:
- Social gatherings of any kind, inside or outside, are limited to 50 people
- Special, seasonal, or commercial events planned for more than 50 people require a safety plan approved by the local health department
- Attendance at winter indoor K-12 extracurricular and co-curricular events is limited to 25% capacity.
- Capacity in common areas and break rooms should be reduced with social distancing in place.
- Community rec sports leagues and tournaments may continue with attendance limited to participants, required personnel, and parents/guardians only.
New Requirements for Red Status counties:
- Social gatherings of any kind, inside or outside, are limited to 25 people
- Special, seasonal, or commercial events planned for more than 25 people require a safety plan approved by the local health department. Events are not advised to be held, college and professional sports included.
- Attendance at winter indoor K-12 extracurricular and co-curricular events is limited to participants, support personnel, and parents/guardians.
- Local officials may consider limiting hours for the operation of bars, nightclubs, and restaurants.
- Community rec sports leagues and tournaments may continue with participants, required personnel, and parents/guardians only.
Dr. Box said that details of the new Executive Order will be finalized over the next few days.
Only one local Indiana county is currently in Red Status on the state's COVID-19 county metrics map, being Perry County. All other southwest Indiana counties are currently in Orange Status.
The governor's Wednesday announcement came alongside a record-breaking day of new positive COVID-19 cases in Indiana, after 5,156 new positive cases of the virus were confirmed by the state health department.
Holcomb's announcement also comes as local COVID-19 hospitalizations in southwest Indiana continue to rise, with statewide hospitalizations mirroring that escalation, with 2,544 COVID-19 hospitalizations in Indiana as of Wednesday.
Watch the Governor's full Wednesday COVID-19 update below: