A mother and her daughter were treated for burns and smoke-related injuries after a house fire in Evansville on Thursday.
According to the Evansville Fire Department, fire crews responded to a house fire on Huber Avenue around 4:48 p.m. Thursday. When they arrived, they say they found a neighbor attempting to put out the fire with a garden hose.
The fire department says an elderly woman who was staying in the bedroom was found lying on the floor outside of the room by her daughter.
That's when EFD says the woman's daughter pulled her to the front door, where neighbors helped bring her outside.
The mother was treated for 2nd and 3rd-degree burns to her legs and was given Oxygen for smoke inhalation. She was transported to Deaconess Hospital by AMR for treatment of her injuries. EFD says her daughter was later treated for smoke inhalation.
EFD says firefighters contained the fire to the bedroom of the home and that most of the damage was limited to the bedroom, hallway, and immediately outside the bedroom door, with light smoke damage throughout the entire home.
The fire's cause was determined to be an improperly discarded cigarette in a trash can located next to the bed. The occupants of the home have been displaced until repairs can be made to the home.
The fire was fully extinguished in about 15 minutes.
No firefighters were injured as a result of the incident.