While many states, including Indiana, plan to opt-out of the Federal Pandemic Unemployment Benefits, Governor Beshear indicates Kentucky is not ready to do that.
Gov. Beshear said in a press conference on Monday, Kentuckians can continue to count on that extra $300 payment in the near future.
The state's unemployment rate is at its lowest since the pandemic hit, sitting at 5% on the March 2021 report.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistic, the Commonwealth ranks middle of the pack when compared to others states.
"I don't think it is an exact science, but I know it would be premature to terminate them now," said Gov. Beshear. "We need to be engaged in other efforts aimed at getting people back to work, as well."
Gov. Beshear said his team will be taking a close look at how cutting off the additional payments will impact the state's economy as a whole, before making the decision to end Kentucky's participation in the program.
However, the state's economy has been on a promising upward trend according to Team Kentucky.
On Monday, Beshear's Office released new figures showing so far this year nearly 2,750 new full-time positions have been announced. That figure is nearly double the total jobs created in 2020.
“We have worked diligently to lay the groundwork that is allowing us to sprint out of the pandemic and become leaders in the post-COVID economy. Now we’re beginning to see the fruits of our labor, as all signs point to an economy on the rise and a better Kentucky for the years ahead,” said Gov. Beshear.