Meijer, in conjunction with Eagle Produce, LLC, has announced a voluntary recall of whole cantaloupe and select cut cantaloupe fruit trays and bowls.
According to Meijer, the recall is part of a sampling investigation by the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development and is due to the potential risk of Salmonella, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in children, elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems.
The multi-state recall involves whole cantaloupe and select cut cantaloupe fruit trays and bowls in various weights ranging from 6–40 ounces sold between Sept. 26 and Oct. 5 of 2020 at all Meijer stores in Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin.
The recalled whole cantaloupe would have a sticker label stating Kandy Brand from Eagle Produce, LLC.
If there is no sticker label to identify it, Meijer says it should be considered part of the recall.
In addition, Meijer may have used cantaloupe ingredients that originated from Eagle Produce, LLC in its store-made products. The following packaged products are in clear plastic containers under the Meijer brand label include:
- 9450 – Gas Station Mixed Melon Chunk Cup
- 9505 – Gas Station Mixed Fruit Cup
- 9644 - Gas Station Cantaloupe 6 oz
- 21921000000 – Fruit Frenzy Bowl 40 oz
- 21921400000 – Fruit Tray
- 21924800000 – Fruit Tray with Dip
- 21932300000 – Cantaloupe Chunks Large PLU 4960
- 21933400000 – Mixed Melon Chunks Large Bowl
- 21933700000 – Mixed Melon Chunks Small Bowl
- 21960100000 – Fruit Frenzy 16 oz Bowl PLU
- 21971100000 – Strawberry/Pineapple Cup 6 oz
- 21971200000 – Mixed Fruit Cup 6 oz
- 21971700000 – Berry Explosion Cup 6 oz
- 21971800000 – Mixed Melon Chunk Cup 6 oz
- 21984400000 – Mixed Melon Cup
- 22012400000 – Mixed Fruit Cup
- 22019600000 – Cantaloupe Chunks Small Bowl
- 22020000000 – Fruit Frenzy 32 oz Bowl PLU 1
- 22021900000 – Cantaloupe and Honeydew Slices
- 22022000000 – Mixed Melon Slices
- 22045000000 – Fruit Palooza
- 22045200000 – Melons & Berries
- 22045300000 – Triple Treat & Melon
- 22061600000 – Cantaloupe Chunks Large Kosher
- 22061700000 – Cantaloupe Chunks Large Kosher
- 28873400000 – Fruit Salad
Meijer says there have been no illnesses reported to date.
According to Meijer, anyone who has purchased any of the listed cantaloupe products/whole cantaloupes should throw them away or return them to the nearest Meijer store for a full refund.
Anyone with questions about the recall can contact Meijer at 800-543-3704.