A mother and her three children have been displaced after a fire late Saturday night at Fulton Square Apartments.
According to Evansville Fire Department division chief Mike Larson, a mother woke up just after 11 p.m. to the sound of her smoke detector.
"The mother initially attempted to extinguish the fire that was behind a dresser to no avail," Larson said. "She then grabbed her children, evacuated the apartment and called 911."
When EFD arrived on the second floor, they found black smoke and flames coming from under a dresser in a bedroom.
The fire was extinguished within 10 minutes, with only minor damage to the upstairs.
This fire has been ruled as accidental, due to an electrical extension cord failing.
Larson said because they had a working smoke detector in the home, less damage was caused and lives were saved.
The Red Cross is helping the displaced family of four.