Around 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, the Owensboro Police Department releasing the name of those two victims. 45-year-old Patrick D. James and 76-year-old Anna G. Trodden were the two victims that passed away Here at a house fire on Tuesday.
The Owensboro Fire Department and the Owensboro Police Department arrived to the scene just before 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday, and upon arrival, they found only a mattress and bed frame on fire.
“It’s kind of amazing that it was kind of a small fire," said Steve Leonard, Batallion Chief of the Owensboro Fire Department. "It does give credence to the fact that smoke Inhalation is the number one killer in most fires, and there was heavy smoke involvement in this particular fire situation, because of the poly foam mattress that produced a lot of toxic fumes.”
Upon arrival, officers and firemen found James deceased at the scene, And they found Trodden alive in a seperate bedroom, but she was pronounced dead once she arrived at the Owensboro Regional Health Hospital.
So far, officers are unsure of what started the fire, but at this point, there is no suspected foul play.
“At this point we don’t suspect arson," said officer Andrew Boggess of OPD. "We haven’t seen anything to indicate that, but again we wanted to request that information in ' case something came about later that led us to believe the fire was suspicious in nature.”
James and Trodden were the only two in the home at the time of the fire, and the Owensboro Fire Department wanted to send a message out to people to make sure accidents like this don’t claim the lives of others in Owensboro.
“This is the time of the year that we have our most deadly fires from about November till about March, so making sure that you have good working smoke detectors, that you check them often, and that you have a plan of action is extremely important," said Leonard.
Currently, there is no foul play suspected, but if you or anyone you know has any information about this investigation, you’re asked to contact OPD or the anonymous Crimestoppers hotline.