Another record-high day of new positive COVID-19 cases was reported in Vanderburgh County on Friday.
The Indiana State Department of Health says there were 704 new positive cases of COVID-19 identified in the county on Friday.
With 675 new positive cases identified in Vanderburgh County in Thursday's report and 656 new positive cases in Wednesday's report, Friday's report of 704 new positive cases broke the county's record for the third day in a row.
The new cases reported in the county on Friday were included in 15,926 new positive cases reported statewide. There were also 97 new COVID-19 deaths reported throughout the state, some of which were seen in our area.
Here's a breakdown of the local COVID-19 cases and deaths from Friday's report:
- Vanderburgh County: 704 new positive cases, 2 new deaths
- Warrick County: 236 new positive cases, 1 new death
- Dubois County: 148 new positive cases
- Gibson County: 141 new positive cases
- Knox County: 136 new positive cases
- Posey County: 94 new positive cases
- Daviess County: 77 new positive cases
- Perry County: 45 new positive cases
- Spencer County: 44 new positive cases
- Pike County: 29 new positive cases
According to ISDH, there have now been 1,425,877 total positive cases of COVID-19 in Indiana to date, along with 19,491 total COVID-19 deaths.
In the last pool of positive samples tested by ISDH, 82.14% of the samples were identified as the Omicron variant. The health department monitors for variants by testing a new group of samples each week.
The number of statewide hospitalizations also climbed to a new high on Friday with 3,519 total hospitalizations reported statewide by the health department.
You can find more info on COVID-19 in Indiana by visiting the health department's dashboard.